Friday, July 29, 2016









MORNING ASSEMBLY FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS AT LIAHONA.  We got a phone call yesterday asking us if we would give a presentation to these students about the field of Dentistry. They wanted to know what it takes to be a Dentist, what a Dentist does, and what opportunities are out there in Dentistry.  Dr. Johns asked me if I had any ideas.  I told him that I would put together a power point presentation after we attended the temple last night.  We came home and I thought I could use one I already had from home, but when I asked for it to be sent (by Alisa and Dr. Permann back home), it didn't come through in the right format.  So, I created a new one last night.  It was a blessing in disguise.  It might sound strange, but I did feel the Lord blessing me in what I was to put in the presentation to help make a difference for these young people.  This picture is a picture of the students filing in.  When everyone came and we started, there were about 700 students total.  I e-mailed the presentation to Elder Dr. Johns last night expecting he would use it.  This morning as we arrived, Elder Johns told me that he wanted me to present my presentation that I created.  I asked how much time he wanted me to take, and the Principle said to take 20-30 minutes.  I told Heidi that it was crazy, but I felt like this is one of the reasons we were supposed to be here at this time.  The presentation went really well, and later I found out that there were several students that were moved by it.  The reason for sharing this, is to illustrate that the Lord works in mysterious ways.  This morning, I felt like I was an instrument that the Lord was using to help these young men and women see that whatever they want in life, they can get.  Dream big, work hard, have faith, follow Heavenly Father, and you will succeed.  One quote that I shared with them is from President Monson - "Decisions determine Destiny"


Dr. Johns and the Brother that was in charge of the Assembly.  Good way to start the morning.


One of the kids we treated today.  Makayla is handing out her bracelets that she and the family made. This little boy is just admiring his new bracelet he got.  These kids are incredible.  They wait for sometimes 2-3 hours to be treated.  For the most part, they are so patient.  Sometimes, it can be very difficult to treat them.  Especially, the 2-4 year olds.  We don't have any nitrous, so it makes it more difficult.  Back in Dental School, we had a saying that said, "Hug em', Drug em', or Slug em'".  The only thing we can do here in Tonga is try to Hug em' and the Tongan parents can do the Slugin'.  We've seen some tough love some times from the parents.  Fusi (our front desk receptionist) is perfect to show tough love and talk these kids through some of the procedures.  I asked her if she wants to come with me to America.  :)  She laughed.  She's tough, but she's so good for these Tongan people.  They know she's tough, but they all love her so much!


Some girls were playing and dancing next to our apartment.  These kids love to laugh, play, and listen to music.  We love to see their smiles and hear their laughs here on campus.


Tonight, we went to one of the poorest villages on the island.  We wanted to go to a "The Woodcarver".  He lives in a village called Popua.  Some of the pictures down below are pictures of these people and their homes.  They are literally "shacks".  The history of Popua is that this land was given to other Tongans that are from other islands, but want to come to the mainland for better opportunities for their kids or for themselves.  If they wanted land, the King and the government told them that this land is theirs and they can do what they want with it.  It is a swampy land that no one wants.  When there are floods, this is the first place that is hit.  When their are storms, this is the first place that gets hit.  It's sad, but it's all they have.  Well, there is a Brother that lives in this village that is a wood carver.  He is so good and his work is so good, that people seek him out to have him carve things for them.  He has employed and taught several of the people in the village.  I love the quote that says, "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day ----Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a life". That's exactly what this man has done.   


These kids are living in shacks.  They would be considered "barns" to us.  They are dirt floors, a lot of them don't have bathrooms (there are outhouses in the back), some don't have electricity.  It is crazy, but they are happy and they are surviving.  Somehow.  I don't understand how.  We want to scoop all these people up and show them a better way.  I guess small changes and things we can do hopefully will help make a difference.  





Another Tongan Sunset.  There are kids out in the ocean fishing.  Probably for their dinner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment