Sunday, April 17, 2016

                                       

ACCEPTANCE   

  This is the first of the 20 values.
Acceptance is a noun with three different meanings.
1.  Act of taking or receiving something offered.  If someone gives you a gift, you receive it.
2.  Positive welcome and belonging; favor and endorsement.
3.  Act of believing or assenting.
      It is the 2nd definition in which I want to focus.  The reason I included the picture above is because Acceptance includes diversity and inclusion.  It is a principle that everyone has heard about, but is sometimes difficult to practice.  All too often, we get too comfortable with who we choose to have our friendships with.  We choose people who have the same interests, look the same, or have a lot of the same commonalities.  We, of course have our families.  We have our Fathers, Mothers, Siblings, etc., but what about the people around us who may be a little different.  What about making a point to accept someone that may be taller, shorter, skinnier, wider, different color, etc.  I think you get my point.
     What about the person who seems they have everything going for them.  You may think that they have everything, but they may have something missing that they try to hide.  What about the person who we think is obviously missing something and seems a little strange, but really has everything.  Things aren't always as they seem.  Everyone loves to be accepted and included.  No one likes to be the outcast or considered strange or weird.
     This is a principle that we are trying to teach our children.  Everyone appreciates a kind smile, a helping hand, or uplifting words.  As we are preparing for Tonga and a culture of it's own, my hope is that all of us can give a little more effort on including people around us despite their differences.   Trying to reach out to the quiet one, or lend a helping hand to the one that is by themselves.  Not seeing people with  different skin colors, different way of doing things, or different language.  BUT, seeing people for people and finding the commonalities and building on those.  Loving others for who they really are and for what beautiful qualities they have.

Personal Experience -
      When I was about 14 years old, I was a Freshman in High School.  I had a number of friends who I thought were friends.  We did a lot of fun things together and I felt that I belonged.  As time went on, my friends were doing things that I knew were not right and I felt that I was a little trapped.  They were still good guys, but were getting into some mischief, experimenting with some drugs, and not being very productive with their time.  I didn't want to lose my sense of belonging with them and didn't want to be considered a "loner" or "loser".  I knew it was time for me to separate myself from them and their influence if I wanted to go in the direction that I wanted to go.  There are those times in our lives where we have to make tough choices.  This was such a time.  So, that's what I did, but then I found myself with "no friends".  I was hoping and praying that I could find a group where I felt like I belonged, I felt valued, and I could have a good time without compromising my values.  About 2 months went by and then a miracle happened.  A young man by the name of Taylor Kartchner came up to me and asked me what I was doing during lunch.  He invited me to come hang out with him and his group of friends.  To this day, I'm not sure what prompted him to ask me to join his group, but I am eternally grateful for his action that changed my life.  You see, this was a group of guys (about 12 of them) that loved to just have clean, good fun.  We did sports together, went on ski trips together, went hiking and camping together, teased each other about girls, had lots of fun and built many memories.  We still stay in touch and do things with our wives and kids.  It was because of Taylor and his friends ACCEPTING me that changed my life and helped make me into the person I am today.  I will forever be grateful to him for his friendship and taking action to include me.  From that experience, I have always tried to look for the one that might need just that.  I have tried to teach my kids to look for the one.  Through all of us doing that, you just might make a difference in their life, and also yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment